A Passion for Food
I donít know when the pursuit of good food became a passion. Itís easy to
trace some of the events in my life that influenced me:
Racing around the world doing research for my cookbook, I photographed at
both Fauchon and Fortnum and MasonÖa daunting experience to kneel at these
temples of gastronomy.
My career as a food publicist took its toll on my waistline, too.
Hob nobbing with the great chefs of the world both here and in Europe.
Being invited to eat at the "kitchen table" of Anton Mosimann at the
Dorchester in London is particularly memorable.
Then, there were those times when I would be at a food conference for food
editors. I managed to be part of a small pack of foodies that raced from
restaurant to gourmet stores tasting at every stop.
As recently as last year, I paid $100 for overweight luggage, not for baubles
and beads, but for the likes of truffle butter and bigoli de bassan (a special
pasta only found in Venice).
DELICIOUS TRAVEL: Savor the best of regional cuisine.
Tastings, cooking, making food shopping exciting.
Travel By-The-Book : Senior Women's Travel : Favorite Cities : Theatre Tours
Travel by Knife & Fork : Unique Trips
Food Lover's New York
3 to 4 hour tours offered throughout the year
Join us on one of our half-day New York food journeys
(or create your own tour from the places mentioned below):
- Two bread bakeries, the best in the city.
- A new Spanish gourmet store: fresh chorizos, arroz cebella (rice for
paella), marinated white anchovies, outstanding Spanish cheeses.
Generous tastings include vinegar, oil, chorizos and cheese.
- Cheesecake: we love the 2 bite cheesecake tarts: classic, espresso,
- Plus one entire block of gourmet temptations: one of those two bread
bakeries, great sandwich place, coffee cafes, pasta and more.
Lower East Side
- Katzís: The premier, albeit shabby, New York deli: hot
dogs, pastrami, corned beef , celery tonic.
- Knishes: Some people love them.
- Il Laboratorio del Gelato: One of the best ice creams
in the city.
- Russ & Daughters: Appetizing store that offers chopped
liver, herring, and smoked salmon cut to order.
- Essex Food Market: Revitalized. Great cheese, Chocolates,
Coffee and Meat
The West Side
- Zabarís, Fairway, Citarella, Whole Foods: each has its own specialty
and are worth a visit whether you buy or not.
- Hot dogs: 4 contenders.
- Hamburgers: If you donít want to spend $21 on a fabulous hamburger
at Twenty One, we offer several favorites.
- Pizza: The guide book favorites donít make it with us. Our own
favorites run the gamut from takeout of a fast food place run by one of our
best New York chefs to a place across from Lincoln Center to the Mel Cooley at
Grand Central Station Food Court (pesto, ricotta and roasted peppers).
- Lobster Roll: You donít have to go to Maine. Itís here in Greenwich
- Chocolate: Among all the international chocolate stores
in New York City, a French chocolatier is our favorite.
A Willie Wonka Chocolate Factory look-alike in lower New York
wins for most unusual chocolate offerings, and prices are reasonable.
- The cityís very best bakeries.
Taste of Flushing Walking/Noshing Tour
Our favorite, better than Chinatown. Dumplings, Hand Pulled Noodles,
Spicy Lamb Kabobs.
Combine any of the stops above to create your own noshing tour.
$195 (USD) plus food and transportation (bus, subway, taxi) for 1 to 4 people
for 3 to 4 hours.
Contact us to schedule a